2023 International Summer Program
July 18 – August 30, 2023
About the International Summer Program (ISP)
The ISP at the Graduate School of Science (GSS) is an intensive research internship for overseas students majoring in natural sciences and related fields in sciences. This program will provide students with an opportunity to acquire an experience of research-based studies in assigned research groups of the GSS. Thematic studies will be conducted under close supervision by the host professors through experiments, discussions, and group work among the team members at the GSS. This program will be a platform for students to train their ability for research in the future. In addition to an opportunity for a leading research work experience in science, the program includes social and cultural activities to promote a better understanding of the Japanese culture and build good relationships with students at Osaka University. Also, for the students who are interested in enrolling in the GSS international graduate programs, the relevant information will be provided. At the end of the program, the students are requested to make oral presentations about their achievements in the program. Participants who successfully completed the program will be awarded a certificate from the GSS.
2023 ISP FAQ PDF
2023 ISP Overview PDF
2023 ISP Poster PDF
Please visit our Facebook
■ Key Dates (Japanese Standard Time)
Application deadline: March 6, 2023
Notification of results: Middle of April 2023
Arrangement for Travel: End of April – June 2023
Arrival in Osaka: July 18, 2023
Program Period: July 19 – August 29, 2023
Departure from Osaka: August 30, 2023
Submission of Assignments: September 6, 2023
The international summer program is designed for undergraduate or graduate students who have a sensibility and intellectual curiosity about science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Applicants must be enrolled in Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program in universities outside of Japan.
■ Application process
Step1: Submit the application-document package
One reference letter from a faculty member at your home university should be included in the application document package. Fill in the application form and submit it to registration website. A host lab at the GSS will be selected on the basis of the reference letter and the study plan of the applicant.
2023 ISP Application-Document Package
Registration website: Click here
< Application-document package >
1. A completed and signed Application Form (Form: Application Form)
2. A study plan written in English (Form: Study Plan)
3. Autobiography of 300-500 words, written in English (Form: Autobiography)
4. A current transcript of the applicant’s academic record
5. One recommendation letter written by a faculty member of the home institution
※ The letter should be written in English or Japanese on the home institution’s letterhead.
6. A certificate of language proficiency (If applicable)
Step 2: Selection announcement
The selection result will be notified to individual students by email. At this stage, the successful students will receive further information about visa, accommodation etc.
1. Tuition fee*: 57,600 JPY
2. Accommodation fee: 20,000–70,000 JPY per month (depending on the accommodation)
3. Transportation fee from the accommodation to the laboratory: 5,000–10,000 JPY in total (depending on the location of the accommodation)
4. Travelling and living expenses: at the participants’ expense
5. Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (Gakkensai & Gakkenbai): 1,340 JPY
* The tuition fee will be waived for students sent under the MOU for student exchange with the GSS, Osaka University. The bench fee for the international summer program will be fully waived.
A limited number of qualified students may be eligible for applying for a scholarship.
※ If your application is selected for a scholarship program, the admission office will contact you for detail by email.
■ Program contents
Hands-on research work in the lab
Oral Presentations by all participants
Welcome reception and Farewell party
Social and Cultural Programs with Osaka University students
■ Time Schedule
March 6, 2023: Application deadline
All the application documents must be submitted via the registration website
Registration website: Click here
Middle of April 2023: Announcement of the selection results
End of April to June 2023: Arrangement for Travel (visa, accommodation, etc.)
July 18 to August 30, 2023: International Summer Program
ISP students will conduct a research project under the mentorship of a faculty member in the host lab, participate in various activities such as lab visits, campus tours, etc. The students are requested to make oral presentations about their achievements on the scheduled day at the end of the program.
* All participants should arrive in Osaka one day before the course date: July 18, 2023. Check-in to the accommodation is July 18, 2023 and check-out is August 30, 2023.
Early of September 2023: Submission of Assignments
Submit an essay and a questionnaire by September 6, 2023
■ Contact us
If you have any inquiries, please feel free to contact us by email.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you want to find out more about the research groups at the Graduate School of Science, click the name of the department below.
Department of Mathematics
Department of Physics
Department of Chemistry
Department of Biological Sciences
Department of Macromolecular Science
Department of Earth and Space Science
(As of 20th, February 2023)